Maybe Tuesday...

 ...is my day to post to this blog.  The rest of last week was busy enough that thinking about writing anything did not cross my mind... til now.  This makes me a TERRIBLE blogger or influencer 'cause the amount of attention paid to posting every day, creating content and being "visible" is minimal at best.  There's not any money being made with this site... so the allure is minimal as well.  At least until I am sorting my head out.

The KirkCutty Fit

Last week the Cutty was a bit miserable to ride at Reach 11.  It felt awkward trying to put power down... so shortly after writing that post, the Cutty was mounted to the trainer and MyVeloFit was setup to analyze the bike.

(If you are not familiar with MyVeloFit, it is a website that uses AI to analyze your bike fit.  Maybe I will post about my experience with the software at some point... but not today.)

Bike is setup, the garage is HOT as fuck... but I want this figured out.  A new not-creaking-carbon seatpost will be here in a couple of days and I want to dial it in quickly.  Hop on, spin at 200w or so for 30 seconds, hop off, crop the video and upload the video.  Measurements and suggestions come back in a short time.

Saddle gets lowered and slid back.  Stem gets dropped.  

Yesterday was the first opportunity to get on the bike.  Haul it up to Browns and hit the same ole' route - Powerline from the trailhead, up to Broken Spoke, out to West Express, down to AxleGrease until I get bored...onto the first turnoff that comes up.

The fit was MUCH better.  While I usually trust my saddle height measurement, the fore/aft measurement was what was thrown outta order.  A too-forward saddle explains the loose rear tire...and closed feel of the cockpit from saddle-to-bars.  A bit lower position made the bike feel more planted in corners...although I am still trying to get used to driving a slacked-out front end with narrow bars.

As far as fitness, there was some surprise - climbing the first 3,4 miles of sandy powerline road was quicker than expected...and despite the warm 85 degree air that was only getting hotter, cruising in Z3 (and Z4) was comfortable.  Even though I have put in 2,3 other rides before this one, THIS ride felt like the first one that showed me more about what the Cutty can do.

First of all, rolling faster into deep sand is more confident.  Yea, definitely give credit to the fat tires.  Even some of the more rutted, deeper sections went by with no problems.

Secondly, the bike is not as quick (yet) on twisty singletrack.  Yep, there is a learning curve... and I am just getting started.  There is a gap in MY timing of steering the slacker front end with the narrower bars... especially when I am used to driving the quicker-handling DiiVerge.

Third, the ride is "cushier".  Rough sections that would kick the DiiVerge around (and never bother the Mach Wu) are smoother.  Again, credit goes to the tires AND the geometry.

Fourth, riding at speed is not as confident yet.  As I blasted down West Express, there was a lack of push in the seat-of-my-pants.  Soaking up rollers didn't feel as intuitive.  Blasting through rough chunk was not as confident.  Even open, flowy sections did not feel quicker.  Strava says I set a pretty good time (12 seconds off my PR in a 7 minute run)... and after I get used to this geometry, it will come around.


SummerTime Training

(...and Bear Howard is coming off life support)

Coming back home yesterday my head went down the rabbit hole of "could I smash in enough training over the next 4 weeks to be ready to ride 60 miles in Flagstaff?".  Laying out the plan was simple - weekly trips north to ride in the pines...other rides to work on my numerous flaws...lots of strength training and stretching to keep from hurting myself - but when it was all laid into the calendar, it all looked... dumb.

Long story short - coming off a FULL month of minimal riding due to a sporadic muscle strain to ramp up to 180 minutes, 210 minutes the next week & maybe a tapering 150 minutes of riding at elevation to be ready for 270 minutes of racing / riding is doable.... BUT if my head was already bailing a month ago, the likelihood that my enthusiasm is gonna miraculously recover is slim.

One of the key things I was looking forward to when I seemingly pulled the plug a month ago was recovering as much as possible from a hard Spring season.  For years the urge to place more importance on strength training has been there... and put aside 'cause riding is more fun.  Until it hurts... or something is nagging, keeping me from riding the way I WANT... not just the way I CAN.

When I said that initial climb up Powerline felt GOOD, there was no bullshittin' there.  There was some genuine surprise that my legs felt that good, that the feel of my position was not just dialing in the measurements but it was also having a more relaxed, pliable body.  And I attribute that to more self-care with strength training, stretching and rest.


What will I get into?  Of course the plan is already laid out.  Again.  The next three months will be easier according the numbers.  There is a basic layout for the entire stretch up to October but knowing it will change with my mood, explaining the next month makes more sense:

  • Strength Training - there's a plan to use the gym and a plan to do some work at home.  The gym is a great way to push heavier weight... but the bodyweight-to-handheld weights work I can do at home hits differently.
  • Running & Hiking - ever since I popped that MCL at the end of '24, running has eluded me up until a month ago.  While the struggle to run longer than 2 minutes before my heart rate skyrockets or tension creeps into joints, I am getting stronger.  The goal is to be back to hiking Gateway (a 4.2 mile loop with 700 feet of rocky climbing) before October.
  • Riding - the plan is to focus on intervals.  ALOT of my top-end fitness has deteriorated away but it will come back quick... and maybe doing it in the heat will help it along.  The rides are either ON or OFF...as in slow recovery rides, heat acclimation maybe.
There is one overnight trip planned, maybe to Pine to ride Highline... but that will depend on the monsoon season.  Pine gets hit with rain ALOT quicker than down here in the Valley... and that red mud takes forever to dry out.  The last time I attempted a ride in that mud was a fiasco.

More next week.  Later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summerhaven, Part 2

Gettin’ Back In…

Getting back into the groove....